Flaming Intro

Talk about the PCE/TG. Easily the best home console of all time! ^_^
TOUKO
Rookie

Re: Flaming Intro

Postby TOUKO » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah you have the main thing, a working effect ..

the difficulty is to find slow parts, and optimise them ..
Beware, a pixels code will be slow if your effect zone is too big ..

For changing one pixel, you must write in four BPS ..
If you'r interested, i'll post my own code to write a pixel in VRAM (in asm of course) ..
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:00 pm

If you'r interested, i'll post my own code to write a pixel in VRAM (in asm of course) .
Thank's, but no. I've done this with sprites, and I know how to do it with bg tiles. I just have to think about the optimum
way to create the tile pixels so I can send a bunch of them (to the Video RAM) at once.
The effects zone is 256 wide x 16 high, so it's gonna take some time anyways. For now I want to try to shrink the code; It's not gonna do any good if I can't get it into 1.5K....
And I suck at assembly, so It will probably take a fair amount of time to shrink it anyway....

But I am thinking of maybe using the gfx_ functions in bios....
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am

Ok ;)

Hum, bios functions are not know to be very fast and optimized like load_cd function ..

If you can try to unrolling loop for saving CPU cycles .
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Hum, bios functions are not know to be very fast and optimized like load_cd function ..
Okay, I got it down to 1.8K, and that's with some unused code in it. It's not too bad on speed, but it's definitely -not- realtime.

Yeah, bios functions are probably gonna be slow(er) than what could be written for a given program, but I have to balance that against how much space a (bios-compatible) subroutine takes. Bios calls take (almost) no space.

You know, until I started doing this, I never realized just -how- bad Huc is at code generation. I moved a couple of loops to assembler, and got rid of almost 100 bytes. Makes me wonder what the heck it's actually generating for the control structures in c.....
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am

Hi TheOldMan,
Do you have a video or .pce of your fire effect ??

I'am curious to see it ;)
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Leave me a message with an e-mail address, and I'll zip it all up and mail it to you monday.
Then you can laugh at the way I write code too :-)

<I switched projects to something else, because I didn't like the way the effect was coming out. It's more plasma-like than fire like.>
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:53 am

Yeahhh, thanks ..
Arkhan
Captain Stroopwafel

Postby Arkhan » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm

I never noticed this thread until now. Wow. Kind of late to the party. Sad I missed the original discussion.

I think you can do a pretty convincing fire effect with carefully lined up palette cycling, and then use a raster-interrupt wiggle (read: Simmer) effect over that area of the screen.

It likely won't be very slow, considering we already did something more obnoxious with Insanity's title screen. This raster effect would be half as tall as that one, and the code would most likely be about as much assembly as that effect, with the palette cycling added in, too.

I already did palette cycling for GNOP in assembly, and it's a pretty small piece of code.

I think there's already a firey-simmer effect on HuC's creations page from Chris Covell. You could probably just combine that with palette cycling in assembly and be good to go. Minimal effort.
Patterns all around you, patterns everywhere. Patterns of behavior, sometimes seem unfair.

Can you recognize the patterns that you find?
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm

as you can see with my source code, all was done with a simple hsync routine ..
It's very low in cpu ressources (1/2%) :P

And do you think the effect is not convincing ? :mrgreen:
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Was looking for something more flame-like. And sprite based. The idea was to put it behind the Aetherbyte logo, and have the flickering flames show through.

I couldn't get anything I liked, though. Everything came out more like glowing plasma than flames. :(