Flaming Intro

Talk about the PCE/TG. Easily the best home console of all time! ^_^
Arkhan
Captain Stroopwafel

Re: Flaming Intro

Postby Arkhan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Just have a row of sprites that flickers on and off on top of the logo with a palette cycle and wiggly animation.

:)

Optical illusions!
Patterns all around you, patterns everywhere. Patterns of behavior, sometimes seem unfair.

Can you recognize the patterns that you find?
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

It also needed to be done in 2K.

I could possibly do it now, since I know a bit more about how the boot works. But PP is out, and I have other things I'd rather do. Kinda lost interest in this....
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

If you want something light and a minimum faster, i think the only way is a tile based flame effect ..

A tiny tileset for each color, white -> pure red, like this: http://youtu.be/KjxbYqTTbxI?t=3m12s

The big difference, is that my fire effect, is doable in game .
TheOldMan
Lord of the Poffertjes

Postby TheOldMan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 am

Something like that might have worked, but planning the tiles and palettes would be a pain, and I really didn't have a lot of (real-life) time to do it in. Since it was for a title screen, it could have taken most of the cpu time; as long as there was time enough to read and decode the joypad, the rest was available.
Maybe I'll come back to it for our next cd game.

FWIW, if you wanna give it a shot: You only have 2K of space for the effect code (ie, 1 cd sector). Consider the graphics and palettes as pre-loaded; about 3/4 of the VRAM space could be filled for the effect. There's probably 2K of space for variables. No HuC startup code or libraries, but the cd bios functions are available.

All of this would have run from the ipl; that will load VRAM and palettes for you. We woud need the logo in VRAM, but the rest would be available. The CD boot call which kicks off the ipl uses < 128 bytes of RAM space, but expectds the standard zero page setup. And the code runs from the middle of ram, leaving about 2K at the end for user variables. The boot call also sets up almost all of the vdc stuff; I think you just have to enable the screen.

I think I originally had about 6 weeks to disasemble the bios and figure out how everything worked, as well as getting a running custom ipl. By the time I got to the effect, I had maybe 2-3 days. And it all had to be in assembler :( That's why the aetherbyte logo just fades in and out. It was quick and easy to do. And Arkhan didn't like the logo bouncing around <lol>
TOUKO
Rookie

Postby TOUKO » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:40 pm

I would have to do more tests.
First from your ,and trying to improve it (if possible)